1. How do I submit a manuscript to Turnstone Press?
Before submitting, please read the detailed instructions on our How to Submit page. Please buy and read Turnstone books and review our catalogue to make sure your manuscript is compatible to our list.
2. Should I send my whole manuscript of just a sample?
For fiction and non-fiction, we prefer to see a sample, approximately 50 pages long. For poetry, please send the whole manuscript. For detailed instructions please refer to our How to Submit page.
3. How long do I have to wait for a response about my submission?
Given the high number of submission we receive, our response times vary from 12 weeks to 24 weeks. For more information please refer to our How to Submit page.
4. What type of books does Turnstone Press publish?
Turnstone Press publishes literary fiction, literary non-fiction, and poetry. Our Ravenstone Books imprint publishes mysteries, thrillers and noir fiction. For more information please refer to our How to Submit page.
5. Do I need to have been published elsewhere before I submit my manuscript?
While we publish a significant number of first books, having publication credits in literary magazines is something we look for in a writer's CV.
6. Where can I buy Turnstone Press books?
We prefer that you support your local independent bookstore. It that isn't possible or convenient, books can be purchased on this website.
7. How can I receive a Turnstone Press catalogue?
Flip through our browseable catalogue or download a pdf version of here.
8. I am a book reviewer. How can I get a review copy?
Please refer to our Review Copy Request page for this information
9. I am a university instructor/professor. How can I get a desk or examination copy?
Please refer to our Desk Copy Request page for this information
10. How do I contact a Turnstone Press author?
For privacy reasons we never release author contact information, so please address any correspondence to the author in the care of Turnstone Press Ltd. For example, if you wish to contact Karen Connelly, address your letter:
c/o Turnstone Press Ltd.
206-100 Arthur Street
Canada R3B 1H3
We will also forward emails addressed to authors. Please put the author's name in the subject line and type your message into the body of the email. Please do not include attachment(s)-these will not be forwarded and will be deleted. Please contact us here.
11. How do I get more information about Turnstone Press authors?
12. I need permission to reproduce or photocopy a part of a Turnstone Press book. Who do I contact?
Please send a request for permission to Turnstone's general contact address.
13. How can I get a job in book publishing? Are you hiring?
Turnstone Press is not a large company. We hire staff when required and we use freelancers occasionally. You may send your resume with a cover letter stating the type of position you are seeking and salary your expectations, to:
Turnstone Press Ltd.
206-100 Arthur Street
Canada R3B 1H3
We will keep your resume on file for three months and contact you if a suitable position opens. No telephone calls, faxes, or emails please.
14. What is a Turnstone?
A Turnstone is a small, short-legged shorebird about seven inches in length. It has a short dark bill, which has a slight upturn on the lower mandible, which it uses to turn over stones in search of insects, crustaceans, and molluscs. The Turnstone comes in two varieties: the Ruddy Turnstone (Arenaria interpres) and the Black Turnstone (Arenaria melanocephala).
15. How can I receive Turnstone Press swag?
You can order an excellent and elegant Turnstone Press toque for $15.00 plus GST and shipping.